The husband and I generally disagree on the way time should be filled in, I like to improvize, he wants a fully scheduled programme, I like to keep our daughter at home part of the time, he wants to get her out (and exhausted) every day...
We struck some kind of compromise, and in chronological order, we went to see a movie, we tidied some toys and stuffed animals at home, we visited some relatives in the Netherlands, the daughter spent some time with her grandparents, we went grocery shopping, she did a 2-day workshop at the Museum of musical instruments (while we both went to work for 2 days), we attended a spooky Halloween walk at a castle (it was really spooky), and finally we had a leisurely lunch on All Saint's Day, with my entire family (which is not very large). In between the "big" stuff, the daughter also did some baking, went playing with the neighbour kid, read a few books and - obligatory for any age under 10 - threw some sulky fits.
Except for the baking and preparing dessert for he family lunch, I did nothing I really like to do (although I did enjoy the Halloween walk). Very little reading, virtually no knitting, and - due to a cold and a bad flare of Sjögren's syndrome - no swimming or sports either. On the other hand, I did process about 8 loads of laundry, supervised or accompanied most of daughter's activities, threw in 2 days at the office, cooked 1 or 2 hot meals a day, harvested the last of my red beets, and - as usual - slept way too little.
I'm almost happy to be back in my routine, as office hours provide regular breathing space and my job does not require walking up and down a couple of staircases all day long (carrying laundry baskets or groceries). It almost feels like a vacation ! (don't tell anyone !)

Castle + park where the Halloween event was held (in the dark)...

7 comments:
how did you compromise? also, sounds like you lost most of the compromising. what about the entire family deal? do you have problems with family or when he is there with you and family?
the time with H must have been enjoyable. like you though, time in the office is my "relaxing" time :-(
lovely castle!!!!
Morgan, it's Gaasbeek castle. Looks very "real" huh ?!
Doc, Compromise meant I also got a couple of days at home, to bake and tidy the toys.
I have no problem with family whatsoever. On the contrary, I wouldn't mind living on a ranch with them (the Ewings - without the booze though ! LOL !) -- of course the problem is when he's there too, why d'you ask ?!
i just figured there was some kind of negotiation to do these things.
There was SOME KIND of negotiation. You know how that goes... I just said I did not want ton be on a schedule 24/7 and I wanted to spend some time at home. I got what I wanted, I suppose !
Such a lovely castle...
But with these men... there is no real compromise...
or women...
Post a Comment