But actually this little story starts before christmas, and just after the last blog I, posted. And it starts off with the sad event of the death of our beloved 17.5 y.o. kitty, Kiki. We (daughter and I ) found her dead on the garden steps at 8 pm. At noon she had still been jumping on the sofa to lick my empty plate. I knew it was coming, she was old and deaf and starting to neglect herself, but it was still sudden. We buried her in the garden the next day.Christmas break itself was a succession of food and even more food (I tried some new recipes of which some were declared a success) and lots of gifts and family gatherings. Not a bad combination, except for the waistline...
It also included the traditional cookie baking and ice skating we try to teach our daughter... The skating pics turned out blurred (I need a new camera !!!) but the cookies are clearly visible here :
You are kindly requested to ignore the messy kitchen in the background...
At the end of Christmas break, we spent a weekend in the northeast of the country, in a province called Limburg, where we visited Bokrijk by Night. The historical theme park Bokrijk is illuminated at night (during a limited period in winter) and hosts a series of events including some puppet theatre and storytelling for children. This was fun.
We got quite a lot of snow and a cold spell - unfortunately not during the school break itself but just after school started again - which forced us to use public transport more than usual (hard to get out of our street for a few days) and brought a lot of joy to the kids, who went sledding until they were soaked several times during that week.
Now we seem to have sunk back into our routine. The days are a bit glum to my taste, either wet and windy or cold and misty... and I long to tackle my garden again. We are also waiting for kitten season to start, so we can pick out a new feline companion. Not to replace our precious Kiki, but to bring some new life to our house. Because one of the things I realized after Kiki had left is that to me, a house without a pet is a house without a soul...

4 comments:
little miss H looks so big!!!
i just noticed this. don't know why it hasn't shown up before. blame it on the firewall...
I didn't publish it until the 27th, I don't know why the date shows as 6 January, that's when I started the draft, but not when I finished it...
When you save a post and want to publish it later it will post it with the date it was originally saved. You can change this if you click on the "POST OPTION" button under your writing where you can set the date you want appearing. It is still off by a few hours (or I couldn't figure out just wich time-zone it keeps).You can do it even after it is posted, just click on new post, and then look for the post-list button, there you go for the post and click on edit.
I am sorry about your cat. I myself was never a pet person, they just need so much care. It is enough that i inflick my neglect on my plants. But even if my home has no pets, only plants and plenty of yarn (besides memories good and bad) I don't think it has no soul.
I know how you feel about pets. Many people don't feel they need pets at all. That's why I said that "to me"... a house without a pet etc... I also think that having pets is easier when you live in the country. Except for goldfish maybe...
But if I remember correctly, you must have green fingers somehow, since you used to grow vegetables in the country !
Post a Comment