Thursday, 9 April 2009

Clutter, junk and mess, my three faithful friends...

I am writing this down so I have a reason to get on with it. It's official, my house is a mess, always has been and it's been getting worse...

When I lived alone it was OK, it was just "my" mess. But now that there are 3 of us... and we live in a bigger house, there's clutter on all floors, in all rooms, and I hardly know what's where anymore. It's the same for me as for most people I know, every move also involves a few boxes that never get unpacked and right now, I have quite a lot of those.

My good friend Peony recently started to rid her apartment of all superfluous junk and even though her place only has one third the surface of mine (I reckon), she's been at it for weeks. This is not encouraging, but having glimpsed pictures of what she's done so far, it was certainly necessary and absolutely satisfying.

So I have no choice. I am not competitive but I will have to do this. Not just to be on a par with my friend, but simply so I can locate things in my house, and not be embarrassed by tons of useless accumulated "stuff" every time I need something from a cupboard... or risk breaking my legs when I try to step into the spare room (which resembles a toyshop dumpster...).

I have next week off. It's now or never. I'll keep you all informed !

5 comments:

peony said...

hehehe... you know what I did was easy, because most of what I got rid of was PJ's stuff... so whatever I didn't want to think/decide about I just offloaded the responsibility to him (knowing him, he might never get around to seriously go throught that stuff)...

MorganMagic said...

so the first half of that week is for your mess, and then you'll come here?

Brussels Chronicles said...

I don't think half a week will even start to make a difference... but I will try anyway. It's going to take a long time though, believe me... Morgan, don't count on me until next year or so... LOL !

herr_dr_nuss said...

start with H's stuff. kids always have too much and never want to unload. let her know that the stuff will go to children that don't have the good things she has. they may have nothing at all. it takes a while but they do get it and cooperate.

if need be, let her witness you getting rid of some of your stuff.

as for KH, burn baby burn... did i say that? :-P actually, give him the chance to do it himself, say by the end of the month, else, you'll be happy to manage the task...

there will be extra house stuff. don't get attached to most stuff. just unload. its physical and takes time. thats OK. keep in mind you need to do this at least every quarter. what i started doing as i was moving over there, is to always think you're going to move overseas. you DON'T want to have beaucoups stuff when you get there. ya know? think of what's the minimal stuff you really need. if you want to save namesakes etc, then put them in storage or ask if family can hold it. make sure its a real namesake. you'll be happier when its all gone. keep in mind i've been doing this with this mindset since the fall of 2005. it will never really end, but its a good practice to do. oh, have yard sales with the stuff you want to unload before giving it to charity. we can all use the bucks with today's and tomorrow's economy!

now what i envisioned was to toss about 1/3 of the stuff, sell 1/3 leaving 1/3 to charity. it kinda works in that percentage pretty well. peony has been doing a good job of this. think of it as a long term but HIGH priority mission!!!

good luck babe

Brussels Chronicles said...

Haha. I did virtually nothing during the break. I was gone too much, in the end. But I did have a very nice easter break ! And I shall-will-must get on with sorting stuff. Promise !